In Lower School we build an academic foundation by igniting our students’ natural curiosity through a comprehensive approach to learning. We recognize that no two children are alike and that each one brings unique qualities to our community. We push and support academic growth, while acknowledging that growth happens best when the emotional and social development of our students is equally valued and nurtured. We create whole and small-group environments that allow students to take risks and stretch beyond their level of comfort in order to exceed expectation. We believe that small class sizes are the key to success. Our low student-to-teacher ratio allows us to focus on the individual child and foster the development of critical thinking, self-confidence and a deep love of learning.
We build an academic foundation by igniting our
students' natural curiosity.
- Pre-K4 and kindergarten classes integrate standards and objectives using the Project Approach, which emphasizes hands-on exploration of topics based on the students’ interests through small and large group activities and discussions.
- First through fourth grade students have a vertically-aligned curriculum in each subject to ensure strong continuity and reinforcement of skills across grades; the kindergarten reading and math curriculum is vertically aligned to first through fourth grade.
- Reading and math content is taught in a flexible small-group setting, and groups are based on students’ abilities and learning profiles in each grade level.
- Three curriculum levels include advanced curriculum, standard curriculum and adjusted/modified curriculum.
- Participation in assemblies helps promote confidence and public speaking skills, as well as stimulates creativity.